Natural marble and natural granite are both raw materials often used for architectural decoration, and both have patterns, and many consumers often cannot tell the difference between the two. In fact, there are many differences between granite and marble, and they are two different types of stone. Today, I will tell you the difference between granite and marble.
- Stone characteristics
- Scope of use
- Radioactivity comparison
- Stone origin
- Difference in hardness
- Marble is more expensive
1. Stone characteristics: The way to distinguish marble and granite with the naked eye is to look at their patterns. Yes, there are patterns on both granite and marble, but because the two types of stone are different in nature, granite is an igneous rock, and marble is a metamorphic rock, so their patterns are very different. The marble patterns are rich in changes, the line patterns are smooth and freehand, and the color changes are rich. The patterns of granite are all speckled, there is no obvious pattern formation, and the colors are generally white and gray, which are very single.
2. Scope of use: The most obvious difference between granite and marble is that one is used outdoors and the other is used indoors. Most of the natural stone with patterns seen indoors are marble, and natural marble can be made into decorative panels for advanced decorative projects, which are used in hotels, exhibition halls, theaters, shopping malls, libraries, airports, stations and other public building projects. It is an ideal high-grade interior decoration material for walls, facing surfaces, railings, floors, window sills, service desks, and elevator doors. The speckled natural stone for outdoor pavement is granite. Granite is not easy to be weathered and deteriorated, and its appearance can be maintained for more than a hundred years, so it is mostly used for wall foundations and exterior wall finishes. Because granite has high hardness and wear resistance, it is also often used in advanced building decoration projects, such as the floor of the lobby. Compared with marble, granite is harder and acid-resistant, so it is more suitable for outdoor balconies, courtyards, floors and windowsills of guest and dining rooms in home decoration.
3.Radioactivity comparison: Marble and granite have a larger radiation gap meter. There are three grades of A/B/C. The marble is usually unified as A, and the scope of use is not limited. And granite is generally B or C grade, B type is limited to use in places other than bedrooms, and C type is only suitable for outdoor or other purposes.
4. Stone origin: Granite is actually an igneous rock material, mainly produced by volcanic materials, such as magma. The liquid magma below the surface cools and solidifies, plus mineral gases and liquids seep into the rock to form new crystals and various colors. Usually dark, according to the hardness and compactness of the rock, granite is divided into ‘pegmatite’, ‘coarse crystal’ and ‘fine crystal’ different grades of stone. Marble belongs to metamorphic rock, which is the natural metamorphism of one kind of stone into another under the mixing action of high temperature and pressure and minerals. Qualitative changes may be recrystallization, texture changes or color changes. Natural marble is a metamorphic rock formed by the original rock in the crust through the action of high temperature and high pressure in the crust. It is a medium-hard stone, mainly composed of calcite, limestone, serpentine and dolomite. There are usually obvious patterns and many mineral particles.
5. Difference in hardness: Marble generally contains impurities, and calcium carbonate is easily weathered and corroded by the action of carbon dioxide, carbide, and water vapor in the atmosphere, and the Mohs hardness is 3-5. Granite is harder than marble. Therefore, it is difficult to process, but it is resistant to acid and weathering corrosion. It is not easy to weather and deteriorate, the appearance and color can be maintained for more than 100 years, and the Mohs hardness is 6-7.
6. Marble is more expensive: Although both granite and marble are high-grade stone products, their prices vary greatly. The granite pattern is single, the color changes are few, and the decoration is not strong. The advantage is that it is durable, not easy to be damaged, and will not be stained. However, because of the high radioactivity, it can only be used in open spaces outdoors, and the scope of application is limited. The price of granite ranges from tens of yuan to 300 yuan per square meter. The rough surface is cheaper, and the smooth surface is more expensive. The texture of marble is smooth and delicate, and the texture changes are rich. The fine products have charming patterns like landscape paintings. Marble is an artistic stone. The price of marble ranges from 100 yuan to 2,000 yuan per square meter. According to different origins, the price of different quality varies greatly.